Monday, April 14, 2008

Like a broken record

Round and round, skipping at the same exact place every time. That's me. Yesterday the Sunday School lesson was about Joseph and Potipher's wife. Our substitute teacher pointed out something I'd never noticed. (Thanks, Bill) That woman came on to Joseph every day for quite a while before she got him alone and he ended up running away so fast he left his clothes in her grasp. Sometimes the things that tempt us are battles we face day in and day out. Am I spending time in the Word daily? Am I eating the right things every time I put something into my mouth? In a word, NO. It has been a tough week or so. And I have a thing when Shawn is out of town. Why cook? Let's order pizza! And at the meeting yesterday after church? I ate a french dip with a side of broccoli cheese soup. So this enriched, heavy sourdough bread gets dunked in a vat of brown liquid salt, and who can eat soup without crackers, right?

((groan))

So this morning, which is a new slate with no mistakes on it will be another new beginning. But I woke up to the sounds of Hailey messing around in the kitchen. This is seldom a good thing. She is a budding gourmet chef, and likes to "whip up" surprises for me. Problem is, I don't usually like surprises, because it almost always includes a huge mess that makes my involuntary yell reflex kick into overdrive. So I stifle the need to jump up and see what the commotion is. "Hailey," I shout from the room. She comes in. "What are you doing?" Big blue eyes look at me. "I'm making you a surprise." Oh, yay. I wonder what it could be. She went back, and I forced myself to stay put and let it be. I know whatever it is will not be on the eating plan, but I am trying to be a good sport. It was torture waiting when I could hear eggs cracking in the distance. And when it arrived, it was breakfast in bed. **SURPRISE** Two pieces of buttered whole grain white toast made the eyes. The nose was a scoop of scrambled eggs made with cheese and milk, and the smile was a row of banana slices. Caleb brought in a steaming cup of hot tea. Okay, I will be thankful and eat my breakfast. I will drink this fantastic tea with splenda. Then I will get up and get cracking on drinking water to help flush it out. And if I eat right the rest of the day, I can still be proud. Because I will be obedient, and because I have two fabulous kids who, amidst a mess in the kitchen, loved me enough to make me breakfast in bed.

1 comment:

Tina said...

Ok...sorry I'm behind on my reading...I thought I had been checking faithfully...loser!

How sweet is that!??! Breakfast in bed made by two wonderful kiddos!! Very cool...

Not a TERRIBLE breakfast, btw.